View Single Post
Old 15th January 2007, 11:43
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,614 Times in 4,425 Posts

Quote:
I would like to ask one more thing, though. I understand you like Debian (and so did I , until I had to provide PHP5 and MySQL5 and leave the stable release) and mentioned somewhere you don't recommend OpenSUSE 10.2 for a production system. What is the reason? I'd love to have Debian but I have a 3ware RAID controller and MySQL5 is a must and I'd love to be able to do apt-get update; apt-get upgrade... :-))
Its not a good idea to go to the debian unstable or testing branch for a production system. Its better to use the php5 and mysql5 packages from dotdeb.org. For the raid driver, did you try to use the 2.6 kernel from debian?

SuSE goes its own way in the linux world which results to incompatibilitys with many other linux distributions and upgrading packages with yast on a perfectly configured server may lead to problems that yast overwrites your manually edited configuration files.

If you've ever tried to do a distribution upgrade from e.g. SuSE 10.1 to 10.2 and compare it with a Debian dist upgrade, you will understand what I mean