View Single Post
Old 20th December 2006, 20:21

Default Virtual Users And Domains With Postfix, Courier And MySQL (Fedora Core 5)

I worked through this tutorial step by step, and successfully installed everything on a Fedora 5 VMware system. I then proceeded to go through the tutorial again on my actual server, and I ran into a problem:

This is what shows up in /var/log/maillog
Quote:
Dec 20 10:10:53 mail postfix/smtpd[11839]: fatal: no SASL authentication mechanisms
Dec 20 10:10:54 mail postfix/master[3075]: warning: process /usr/libexec/postfix/smtpd pid 11839 exit status 1
Dec 20 10:10:54 mail postfix/master[3075]: warning: /usr/libexec/postfix/smtpd: bad command startup -- throttling
These three lines appear repeatedly in the log file, and running a tail -f on it shows that they appear roughly every minute, and not in response to me trying to connect to port 25.

Trying to telnet to port 25 just disconnects me, or doesn't show the ESMTP greeting line.

The problem I am having is that I followed the directions exactly, and it worked the first time, and didn't work the second. I also re-installed my live server, and ran through the tutorial again, thinking I may have missed a step, but it still didn't work.

My config files look exactly like they do in the tutorial, and they also look the same as they do on my VMware server. SElinux is disabled.

If I disable SASL authentication in postfix, by entering postconf -e 'smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = no', then I can connect to the server and send a message successfully. However, I need SMTP authentication support, so I want to get this working.

I have looked through other forum posts, but everyone else's problems are different from mine. Can anybody offer an explanation?

Thanks,

Aaron Parecki
Sponsored Links