Thread: Exim
View Single Post
Old 27th November 2006, 20:12

Post Exim

After struggling with postfix, and refusing to use Sendmail, I decided to have a bash at using ISPConfig with Exim (which I use by preference).

It turned out to be very simple.

I use Debian, so this will be specific to Debian using the exim4-daemon-light package.

I installed exim4 again (after having had postfix and sendmail installed).

I decided on a non-split config option (though it would be simple to do it with the split config) and made the following changes to exim4.conf.template :
near the top of the file I added:
Code:
MAIN_TLS_ENABLE =yes
AUTH_SERVER_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS = yes
Made a copy of the system_aliases router immediately below it and called it hosted_aliases. Changed it to look at /etc/postfix/virtusertable instead of /etc/aliases and to lookup $local_part@$domain instead of just $local_part:
Code:
  data = ${lookup{$local_part@$domain}lsearch{/etc/postfix/virtusertable}}
I use courier for my pop3/imap server so I uncommented the plain_courier_authdaemon and login_courier_authdaemon sections in the example authenticators section. I had to "chmod o+rw /var/run/courier/authdaemon/" to allow exim to read that file. There are other options available in there should you so choose.

Next I copied the files smtpd.crt and smtpd.key from /etc/postfix/ssl to /etc/exim4 and called them exim4.crt and exim4.key respectively.

Edit /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf and change the following line:
Code:
dc_other_hostnames='/etc/postfix/local-host-names'
Then, to finish faking out ISPConfig to make it believe its still talking to postfix...
Code:
cd /etc/init.d
ln -s exim4 postfix
Think thats everything, but if it doesn't work for you I can check my setup.

Hope thats of some help to folk, and also to the developers as I'd like to see Exim actually supported by ISPConfig (though I believe its in the roadmap?) :-)
Sponsored Links