View Single Post
Old 18th October 2006, 12:08

ic. I will read up about the HOSTS file as I know there is plenty of info out there.

What about the DNS server approach? (Seeing as the Debian machine has it running.)

I have 2 DNS entries in my TCP/IP setup (Primary and Secondary). At the moment these are automatically assigned by my ISP because I'm using DHCP (and I would like to be able to continue using it). So in order to utilise my Debian based DNS server, I would have to make an additional entry in my TCP/IP Advanced settings.

Here are some questions:
Normally, the Primary entry is searched first. I assume that if the domain name in my URL isn't found there, the Secondary address is checked automatically? If I had a 3rd entry, it would check there if the Secondary failed to return a result?

Is a DNS server database automatically builtup or is it a static database?
1a) Meaning, could I use my DNS server to resolve say 'www.microsoft.com' without having to manually make an entry?
1b) And over time, would I be able to resolve all the URLs I use on my DNS server, without having to refer to any other DNS servers?
1c) Would I get any updates on Domain name/IP changes?
1d) What is the command/method to see what entries I have in my DNS database at any point in time?

If the DNS database is dynamic,
2a) Any idea on the size of the database? Or would it 'trickle' in over time?
2b) And how much data is sent/received in keeping the DNS server database up to date?

If I wanted to have my DNS server as the Primary, are there any things I would need to do to ensure that I can still browse the net?
3a) I would have to turn off automatic DNS retrieval in my TCP/IP settings, and rearrange the current Primary and Secondary addresses so they still get used when required?
3b) Anything else?

Cheers,
Nap