Thanks for all the help- especially for the quick replies, manning this forum full of newbs like me is a full time job- and now that I got it working I hope to start participating and helping you all out.
How I am searching:
Searching for forthecode.com SOA record at f.root-servers.net [184.108.40.206]: Got referral to J.GTLD-SERVERS.NET. [took 54 ms]
Searching for forthecode.com SOA record at J.GTLD-SERVERS.NET. [220.127.116.11]: Got referral to server1.forthecode.com. [took 217 ms]
Searching for forthecode.com SOA record at server1.forthecode.com. [18.104.22.168]: Reports server1.forthecode.com. [took 35 ms]
Domain Type Class TTL Answer
forthecode.com. SOA IN 10
Primary DNS server: server1.forthecode.com.
Responsible Name: email@example.com.
Refresh: 28800 (8h)
Retry: 7200 (2h)
Expire: 604800 (1w)
Minimum/NegTTL: 10 (10s)
forthecode.com. NS IN 10 server1.forthecode.com.
forthecode.com. NS IN 10 server2.forthecode.com.
server1.forthecode.com. A IN 10 22.214.171.124
server2.forthecode.com. A IN 10 126.96.36.199
If you goto www.forthecode.com
it brings up the website- which is the nice clean default setup by ispconfig, and if you goto :81 for server1.forthecode.com or just forthecode.com it brings up the login..
Under the ispconfig control panel I have a domain setup: forthecode.com with A(host) records for www and such. Also under server settings I have Hostname: server1 Domain forthecode.com with IP and Netmask both my local ip /netmask
I did discover that Bind had failed due to a duplicate entry (most likely due to my tinkering). After removing the duplicate entry in etc/bind/named.conf I was able to bind restart and BAM! - everything started showing up online!!!
Falko, Till, themachine -- thanks for help, i hope i will get proficient enough to help you -- help all the rest of us newbs