View Single Post
Old 26th August 2006, 13:51
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,745 Times in 2,578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasUse
1. What IP goes where?
I have read the forums but the more i read the more i get confused. During the installation of my CentOS, i have put in my LAN IP for the network address and in the DNS under Networks i have webhostingfx.anaconda.com which has also got my LAN IP address. I would be able to post my /etc/hosts file but I am at work right now so cannot do that. I would gladly do that once I get home. Also, does the static IP go anywhere? I just cannot figure out how is the server going to get resolved externally if i don't use the static IP anywhere. I think this question is the main one, if i can figure this out then probably everything will be just fine.
In ISPConfig you use the system's IP address, the one you see when you run
Code:
ifconfig
(in your case an IP address from your LAN). But in DNS you must use your router's public IP address (e.g. for webhostingfx.anaconda.com), and then you must either put your server in a DMZ or tell your router to forward all needed ports to your server.

Quote:
2. Does webhostingfx.anaconda.com need to be a registered domain name.
anaconda.com must be a registered domain; webhostingfx is just a subdomain. Once you've registered anaconda.com, you can create as many subdomains in DNS as you like.
Quote:
If yes, i already have a .com and .com.au domain names. Can i use that instead?
You can use any domain.

Quote:
Also, if i use a registed domain name, do i need to change anything on the DNS records from whom i have registered my domain names?
If the domains don't point already to your router's public IP address, you must change that.

Quote:
3. My POP3 service is not working as shown under Isp_Config_Server, can you please provide a link so that i can get that working, though this is not much of an issue. I like to take one step at a time and firstly figure out the web side of things.
What's the output of
Code:
netstat -tap
?

Quote:
4. How long does it take for DNS changes to go through.
Up to 72 hours.

Quote:
5. Recently i had made some changes to my host file, something like this,

192.168.0.1 webhostingfx.anaconda.com webhostingfx
was changed to
192.168.0.2 webhostingfx.anaconda.com webhostingfx

and i started getting no virtual hosts (don't remember the complete error) when booting CentOS.
What is the correct entry that has to go through in this, i believe that it should be
192.168.0.2 webhostingfx.anaconda.com webhostingfx, but i don't know if i am right. Please guide.
What's the output of
Code:
ifconfig
?

Quote:
Now by forwarding does it mean that enter the port number to the LAN IP to which the server is installed? If yes, then it would mean that i need to forward ports 81 and 80 to 192.168.0.2. I hope this is correct.
Yes.

Quote:
Lastly but not the least. Firstly what do i put into the name server? I have ns1.webhostingfx.anaconda.com and ns2.webhostingfx.anaconda.com. I understand the these should be put into a registered domain name, for example, if i had a .com domain name then the primary and secondry name servers should point to ns1.webhosting.... and ns2.webhosting...
How do i configure DNS records for websites that i create on Isp_Config. I read on a thread that i would have to do that manually. But i don't understand what i need to put in there.
Have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig_dns_godaddy

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: