View Single Post
Old 26th July 2006, 01:52

Default Denyhosts doesn't like my IP

Fedora Core 4, Denyhosts v.2.4 and v.2.5 (same problem, both versions)

I've got Denyhosts installed with no problem, consistent with the fine tutorial on this site, however I am experiencing an odd issue while it is running.

I can't get the program to allow my IP address.

When I login either via SSH or Webmin, as soon as Denyhosts runs its next cycle, my IP is added to hosts.deny. Fortunately, I am logged in, so I edit hosts.deny and remove my IP so I can get back in later, but it's seriously irritating.

Except for the one file noted in the next paragraph, there is no mention of my IP in any of the files in the WORK_DIR.

I have made the allowed-hosts file in /usr/share/denyhosts/data (the WORK_DIR) and inserted my IP in it. Even after restarting, this has no effect.

I have added my IP (ALL: 123.123.123.123) to hosts.allow, but this is also ineffective.

I have modified the SUCCESSFUL_ENTRY_REGEX both in the /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packaes/DenyHosts/regex.py file and overridden that variable by including a reference to it in /usr/share/denyhosts/denyhosts.cfg, with no effect. (I modified that regex because it was only set to look for "Accepted", which Webmin does not use, and apparently /var/log/secure's note about successfully logging out was also triggering denyhosts to add my IP to hosts.deny.)

Here's the truly odd part ... I have another Fedora Core 4 server on which I installed Denyhosts 2.4 (from source tarball) at the same time as I first installed it on the problem system (both dedicated boxes, freshly provisioned), and that system doesn't do anything with my IP, either via SSH or Webmin. It successfully adds attacking IPs to hosts.deny, but it ignores mine, which is just what I want.

So I don't know if this is a problem with Denyhosts not including the allowed-hosts file, not reading hosts.allow, or maybe it's a tcpwrappers issue or what ... I'm running out of ideas.

Today, I removed all Denyhosts v.2.4 files from the problem system and installed v.2.5 from the source RPM file provided by the program's author, and there is absolutely no change. Same problem.

I would really appreciate any thoughts. TIA.
Sponsored Links