View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2006, 23:10

Default VMWare Server Howto and Ubuntu Questions

I have the following machine:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe MB with Silicone Image Sil 3112A Sata controller with Raid 0/1 support.
AMD Athlon XP 2500 1.83Gz Processor
1GB dual channel PC2700 ram (2x512 Corsair Modules)
2 Seagate Barracuda 80GB Sata1 HD
ATI Radeon 9600 128MB Video Card

I currently triple boot Win2KPro, Mandrake 10.1, and Ubuntu Breezy Badger. I need to delete the Mandrake (don't use it anymore.) I have to use Windows on occasion. I love and use Ubuntu as my primary OS of choice. I could dual boot Windows and Ubuntu Dapper but would rather use VMWare and run Windows without having to boot when necessary.

Before I tear into my machine and re-do it I have a some questions:

1.) Would like to setup using the Silicone Image Raid 0. Do you think there would be a problem with this?

2.) Do you think I have enough horsepower for this kind of setup?

3.) I would want all virtual machines on the same NAT'd ip subnet, ie. 192.168.1.x. The MB provides (2) 10/100 ethernet ports. One is Nvidia based the other is 3Com based. I currently only use the Nvidia based and have the 3Com disabled in the bios setup. Would there be an advantage to enabling the second 3Com ethernet port? Are there any problems to watch out for with two active ethernet ports?

4. ) The "How To" states that it doesn't matter whether you setup the VMWare server over a Ubuntu "Desktop" or "Server" setup. However as I read through the "How To" it would seem that it might be "better practice"?? to install the Ubuntu "Server" setup, then the VMWare server and management interface, then setup up virtual hosts for your desktops. One for Ubuntu and one for Windows. What do you think of this?

I really appreciate the great work of Till and Falko. This is a great website which provides a wonderful service to the community!

Would appreciate hearing any and all opinions on the above.

Thanks

Chuck Rudolphy

Last edited by crudolphy; 22nd July 2006 at 23:21.
Sponsored Links