View Single Post
Old 17th June 2006, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
2.4 or 2.6 kernel...The most important is that you have full advantage of your Debian SMP system now.

I also do not have the experience with updating from 2.4 to 2.6.
At this point i can not help you.

But if you just started you with a new and empty system you can consider to start over again and install the 2.6 kernel.

You can do this with the "linux26" command after inserting the Debian CD in your drive.
I see. I might go back to the data center tomorrow, and try a new clean in stall with the linux26 option.

[QUOTE=Hans]Maybe not important for you but good to know is that the 2.4 kernel series do not support SATA drives.[/b]

This is not really a problem. The system is using a 3Ware pci card running 2 SATA HDD's in RAID1 mode.. Till now no problem..

Quote:
I have also seen that you choose for a 32 bit version.
I have installed the unofficial Debian Sarge 64 bit version with the kernel-image-2.6.8-12-em64t-p4-smp.
Yes.. I have some othe applications that will not even install on a 64 bit OS (like ColdfusionMX7)

Quote:
This Dual Xeon system is up and running now for months now without any problems. Very stable. So if you want to give it a try....
(I mentioned this for consideration and have a little bit more advantage of your dual XEONs)
If it was not for the aps that do not install on a 64 bit OS, I would for sure have used the 64 bit OS.

The system was using Fedora RC4, and it did peform okay for me (with sometimes some small hiccups caused for sure by me)

I will deside tomorrow if I will do a reinstall or keep the "now looking good" kernel-image-2.4.27-3-686-smp.

Thanks again for your help..

We need more people like you on this forum!

Last edited by edge; 17th June 2006 at 22:49.