View Single Post
Old 26th May 2013, 13:20
HowtoForge Supporter

Quote:
I am new to Linux, I come from the Windows environment.
Welcome to the dark side!

nginx just the same - ispconfig treated as a virtual host. So if you disable nginx you disable ispconfig. If you really want to stop the ispconfig code from loading, have a look in the sites-enabled vhost folder and remove the symlink for 000-ispconfig.vhost.

I wouldn't however choose to do that.

My virtual dev boxes all have 1gb ram allocated to them and ispconfig runs quite happily. Granted, the load isnt that high but everything is operational.

Have a read up on how linux uses memory however. What you're seeing may not be actual memory usage on your machine. You'll read everywhere that linux has very efficient memory management coding and caching - if the memory is available it will use it - better for parts to stay in memory than on disk - expensive transaction times getting it from disk.

To see actual memory usage use "free". This is one of mine:-

Code:
[root@master ~]# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       1922624     677672    1244952          0      12608     172732
-/+ buffers/cache:     492332    1430292
Swap:      1048568          0    1048568
You'll see an amount of buffered/cached memory usage in there. This is "in-flight" data yet to be written to disk or cached from disk into memory.

Clear the buffers:-

Code:
 sync; echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
Then compare:

Code:
[root@master ~]# free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:       1922624     511976    1410648          0        696      25520
-/+ buffers/cache:     485760    1436864
Swap:      1048568          0    1048568

You'll see a reduction in memory usage but this is at the expense of emptying cached content. I don't do that too often, but some people advocate putting it in a cron script to regularly empty the cache.

Do you know what you want to use your VPS for? Just web, or web and email? If you've disabled spamassassin, amavisd etc you're not going to see much in the way of mail protection.
If its just web, instead of trying to disable ispconfig see if you can optimise nginx further. Lookup php-fpm see if thats any use to you and compatible with ispconfig architecture.