View Single Post
Old 11th April 2013, 01:26
HowtoForge Supporter

Exclamation server1.myispserver.tld & to see websites in browser using domains within LAN

Hi Markc,

If you can't get to your CP via the external IP from within your LAN, but you can from the outside, then something is obviously weird. This problem needs to be fixed first and it may be something to do with firewall rules on either your desktop or server. If you are using a DMZ on your router than perhaps make sure any previous port forwarding rules are removed. This may make no difference but you need to nudge a few things to try and get access from your desktop to the server via the external IP of your router. Running tcpdump on the server is invaluable but there can be a lot of RTFM involved using it... usually something like tcpdump -i eth0 not port 22 on the server will reveal what traffic is or is not hitting the server.
I will try that command and maybe post the result for you!? I have seen this problem before, not to be able to reach websites/domains on a server from a workstation within the LAN - and the solution was to add ipnumber and domain to /etc/hosts or at least I think it was (were*).

As for the /etc/hosts "trick", it should not be necessary if you have real registered domains that you can use. But for the sake of testing, something like this... Code: # desktop 192.168.1.201 blackbird.mydomain1.tld blackbird
I'm sorry, have been looking at this several times now and I'm not sure about the reason for doing this. Why use the desktop as a subdomain? If this is what it is. Is it to be able to reach the desktop using the subdomain from the outside?

# server 192.168.1.200 www.mydomain1.tld www.mydomain2.tld mydomain1.tld mydomain2.tld
This is what thought should be on the desktop /etc/hosts file, to be able to reach a website/domain on the ispserver within the LAN.!? Making a request for mydomain1.tld in the desktop browser, them via the /etc/hosts file it is being directed directly to myispserver 192.168.1.200 . Because, making a request for the domain1.tld it will directed to the outside fixed ipnumber by the primary nameserver.
Again, I'm sorry. I'm not quite sure what to do yet or how these tvinge works exactly.

needs to be added to both /etc/hosts (or windows equiv) so that both machines know about each others temporary domainnames for testing. "192.168.1.201" is a placeholder for whatever your desktop IP is.
Placeholder, I'm not sure what this is. Maybe I should go back in the thread and read a little. I will do that

You might find nano a friendlier editor unless you actually prefer vi. I use this alias in my ~/.bashrc... Code: alias e='nano -t -x -c'
What does the alias do? Is it some kind of variable* you set so that you only need to ype "e" in front of a filename? I "vim-nox'e" the vi so that it behaves a little better, but I'm very qurious so please tell me more Do you "apt-get" or "aptitude" ? I noticed that "aptitude" not is default in the ubuntu desktop 12.04 but has to be installed.

(* not sure about the word and how it's spelled)
(Funny words is the result of danish spellchecking* on a smartphone)

By the way, which timezone are you in? So that I can try to answer during your daytime instead of in the middel of the night

Kind Regards
Dan