View Single Post
Old 6th April 2013, 08:24

Default ISPConfig Initial Thoughts

I am new to this community, and am considering using ISPConfig in lieu of Virtualmin on a number of hosts.

ISPConfig is nice, but there are some things holding me back from full use:

* As a client user, I get a drop-down of all potential PHP execution modes, even if only one is installed. Selecting the wrong one yields a non-working config (and site). I'd much rather this drop-down be hidden, with the admin forcing the value.

* ISPConfig assumes I'm using either mod_fcgid or mpm-itk out of the box. I am keeping Apache as light as possible, and am only using mod_fastcgi with php-fpm. I had to manually create a php-fpm pool for ISPConfig and edit 000-ispconfig.vhost acordingly.

* Adding sites does not include adding DNS. For technical users, this can make sense, but for just about everyone else, it doesn't. At minimum, a pre-checked checkbox for "Add default DNS entries" should be present on the page to add sites.

* I don't see a location for templates/plans to pre-fill settings when creating a new site.

* It'd be great if default PHP-FPM settings could be saved so changes don't have to be made each time.

* "Use Socket For PHP-FPM" took a few attempts to reflect as a socket in the config, although it's possible I didn't wait for the queue to complete when checking.

If the code were hosted somewhere collaborative like Github or Bitbucket, I'd gladly help contribute where possible. I also think it'd spur a lot of growth since it seems like many users have a good number of custom tweaks here and there that may be configurable.

Also, if it matters, I'm on Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS.

I look forward to hearing your comments.
Sponsored Links