View Single Post
Old 4th March 2013, 11:55
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,265 Times in 4,129 Posts

Quote:
Could you please let me know more about those secutiry reasons (or at least point me to the info)?. We are used to mod_php5 and would like to know more before we change to FCGI. What's more, the last important php bug was related to FCGI, not mod_php5. And we think that FCGI has worse performance than mod_php5 and causes more technical troubles, outweighing its advantages.
ISPConfig uses stricter security settings now which require that all scripts of the ispconfig interface are running with the priveliges of the user "ispconfig"as you noticed you have to give less stricter permissions to the file which contains the mysql login details on your server when you use mod_php. When you use mod_php, then scripts were run as user apache.

Quote:
What's more, the last important php bug was related to FCGI, not mod_php5. And we think that FCGI has worse performance than mod_php5 and causes more technical troubles, outweighing its advantages.
The performance of php-fcgi and mod_php are comparable. I've never heard a complaint yet that the ispconfig interface is too slow, so you must run a really big setup with tens of thousands of customers. How many thousand clients access the ispconfig interface on your server simultaniously and how many ram and cpu's does your server has?

Quote:
Anyway, it would be great if the updater warned about the change, as I could not access the control panel to move the webs from mod_php5 to mod_fcgi.
The system requirements for ispconfig are defined in the perfect setup guides that we publish regularily for all Linux distributions and php fcgi is part of these system requirements.