View Single Post
Old 25th February 2013, 16:14
HowtoForge Supporter

Default My thoughts on VM

Hi MaddinXx,

That's cool stuff. Nice contribution. How is the script envoked, when performing certain activities within ISPConfig 3? Does it automatically take care of setting quotas via settings in ISPConfig 3?

I read the OpenVZ page that you provided this one when I was doing my research on OpenVZ, but I'm very new to OpenVZ, so I have no idea what performing the install that way would do to my system. Sounded like maybe the kernel I would be stuck with after installing would be Redhat, so I didn't even try it. Not to mention that I don't understand what ploop is or does.

I tried several OpenVZ installs without success:
I would prefer not to run an additional web server on the base system, if I can get that type of install to work. It has been painful trying to get it to work though.

I read tons of information trying to get the later two installs working, but never succeeded. This is a pain, because I didn't want to run another web server on the system just for installing OpenVZ under the Web Panel, but I had no choice since I couldn't get any of the other installs to work. I even went as far as trying to enter everything for the server at the command line using this page, but that didn't work either.

Finally I found a way to start the web panel server under https, so I decided to go with what worked: https://code.google.com/p/ovz-web-pa.../detail?id=228

I was and am concerned about performance installing the main system components under a virtual server. The server that I'll be using has dual quad core Xenon 2.33G processors, 16GB RAM, 2.7T RAID 10 disk array, but I want the best performance that I can provide my clients and I thought that would be doing the install on the base system, and only using virtual servers as resolvers and my git repo.

I don't really care for the multi-server setups due to all of the resource sharing as well as the added work to keep everything up-to-date. I want to minimize the resource load on my server, have one single database to backup, one web server to manage, which means I don't have to have an additional web server for the mail server, which is a pain when it comes to managing the certificates and making everything work.

What are you backing up when you backup your servers? Are you backing up the entire virtual containers? If yes, I don't understand how that is easier than dumping one database. Can you explain your thoughts on this?

You are much more experience than I am at this, so I would like to hear your thoughts about my approach... Is the install provided here a sure thing, or do you think I will run into a lot of problems?

Thank you,
Darin