View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2013, 16:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
Here the steps:

1) Backup the following directories on the old server: /var/www, /var/vmail and /etc, ensure that you preserve permissions e.g. with "tar pczf backupfile.tar.gz /directory/to/backup".
2) backup all mysql databases.
3) install ispconfig on the new server.
4) backup the new dbispconfig database and empty the database afterwards. Then restore the database of the old server.
5) copy all users and groups of the websites (users are web1, web2, ... , groups are client1, client2, ..., etc.) from the files /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow, /etc/group and /etc/gshadow from the old server to the new server. Copy only the lines of the users and groups, not the whole files! and make a backup of the files before you change them.
6) restore the contents of /var/vmail and /var/www on the new server.
7) restore the databases of the clients
8) Login to ispconfig, go to tools > resync, check all checkboxes and click on start and wait a few minutes to let ispconfig write missing config files.

Just some extra questions regarding this...
Quote:
Here the steps:
2) backup all mysql databases.
3) install ispconfig on the new server.
4) backup the new dbispconfig database and empty the database afterwards. Then restore the database of the old server.
Here is mentioned to back up ALL mysql databases so with client databases I guess. But in line 7 there is to restore client databases. So now I am guessing to not include the client databases. Must I backup only ISPConfig database in step 2 or indeed all of them?

Quote:
Here the steps:
1) Backup the following directories on the old server: /etc
What must I do whit this one? or must I use this file to complete step 5.
So extract it and edit the files from it?

TIA, think I will need some more help by getting it right but, still am going for it.......