View Single Post
Old 30th July 2012, 13:04

Default Installing Joomla 2.5.6 using Mod-PHP

Hi
I am trying to install Joomla 2.5.6 on my server using Mod-PHP handler but the installer goes into an infinite loop after I select the language.

When I choose to use FastCGI instead (done through ISPConfig) and wait a bit for the cache/buffer to clear, the Joomla installer DOES NOT loop indefinately but actually makes it to the next screen where it shows me the php setting I have. Here it shows "output_buffering" on and recommends I turn it off. Which I can easily do via the default php.ini for the server.

But here is where my dilema starts.

The reason for needing to use Mod-PHP rather than FastCGI is that Mod-PHP enables the use of PHP settings inside .htaccess files. This is a critical feature I need at this point in time.
You see, I have some scripts that need register_globals and magic_quotes_gpc on for them to work. I am not in a position at the moment to fix them. Perhaps some time in the future, but not right now.

Mod-PHP allows me to set my php.ini file for a more secure server setup, ie by having register_globals and magic_quotes_gpc OFF by default, and then turn them on where required via .htaccess inside specific folders.

However, if I use FastCGI, I can't control php settings on a per folder basis. I only have the option to set php.ini settings on a site basis. This is unsatisfactory for me.

I've been a Joomla (pre-version 2) user for a number of years now on a server running Mod-PHP, and would like to continue with Joomla. But if it's not going to work, then I have to look at another CMS.

1) Has anyone been able to install Joomla 2.5.6 (or similar version) using Mod-PHP? How did you do it?
2) If I've miss understood something here, please feel free to enlighten me.

Cheers,
Nap
(Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, Kernel 3.15.4-x86_64, Apache 2.4.7, MySQL 5.5.38, PHP 5.5.9, ISPConfig 3.0.5.4p1, Webmin, PureFTP & Quota, phpMyAdmin, postfix, dovecot, clamav, spamassassin, awstats, fail2ban, Jailkit, bind9, vlogger, webalizer)
Sponsored Links