View Single Post
Old 20th June 2012, 11:05

Just figured out the same thing! Chatted with my server provider's help desk and it turns out they suggest using one of my own domains.

Not sure I understand this:

they provide me with a server and a generic hostname, i.e. h1870666.stratoserver.net and 2 IPs but I can't use the second IP for sending emails because of the problem I reported in this thread.
The problem is that you have absolutely no control over the DNS settings for hte domain they provide me with, i.e. I can't set up an A-record for h1870666.stratoserver.net

Now my question is, if I use one of my own domains, to set up A-records and reverse DNS pointers, that would solve the problem, but I guess I would also need to change a lot of postfix configuration, right?

So in my quest to elegantly solve this I came across this thread: http://www.faqforge.com/linux/send-a...ss-in-postfix/ explaining how to stop postfix sending emails through a particular IP but in the comment below, a user explains that that solution screws up AMAVIS and suggests a new solution.

Does anyone know if the solution in the comment is the best way to go?

for those too lazy to click the link, the suggested solution is to add
Quote:
smtp_bind_address = 192.168.0.1
to bind postfix to one IP but that seems to stop AMAVIS from working.

The counter-solution in the comment section suggests editing /etc/postfix/master.cf:
Quote:
smtp unix – – – – – smtp
-o smtp_bind_address=217.14.118.60
127.0.0.1:25 unix – – – – – smtp