View Single Post
Old 27th April 2012, 21:10

Default Samba folder access problem [Solved]

Hey guys,

Ubuntu 12.04 is out and i want to update my server and in the process making my media and fileserver a bit more customized. Unfortunatly i ran in to some trouble with Samba and i hope you guys can help me out.

This is what i'm trying to acheive.

I have three users that i want to be able to access certain areas on my shares.

Lets say that the users are users are myself, mywife and mediaplayer.

I want each of this users to connect to their home on the server. There i have a symlink that points to my raid. This part works fine.

When you follow the link you'll see a list of folders like this
Movies
Music
Myself
MyWife

and so on. So onto the problem. I want myself to have full access to everything and mywife shall have full access to the MyWife folder and rx to Movies and Music. Lastly i want mediaplayer to have rx to Movies and Music.

Restricting the access is not a problem it's gettiong access for myself to the Mywife folder. I Put both of us into a group marrige and set mywife as owner to the folder and the group to marrige. Since i don't want anyone except mywife or a user belonging to marrige (me) to be able to rwx in this folder i put permission 770 on it. This works fine from the shell. My admin user can't access the folder since he doesn't belong to marriage and myself can access the folder.

So everything is peachy.... no it ain't when i try to access it from my windows machine it says permission denied. Permission 775 works but then mediaplayer can access it to and i don't want that.

It seems that samba isn't checking group permissions.

Is there anyway around this without creating symlinks to the folders i want on each user ?

The main reason i want to do it this way is that i can add folder and just set the permission and group on them to handle who gets to see and access what.

Hopefully some of you can help me solve this issue.

Cheers Tray2

Last edited by Tray2; 29th April 2012 at 08:36.
Sponsored Links