View Single Post
Old 5th January 2012, 17:29

I wish I had seen that link earlier . Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Till.

The cited tutorial contains the correct information regarding the log location (/var/log/syslog), which is good to see.

However, when I change my fail2ban configuration to match that in the tutorial, I'm never banned in my tests.

I have not changed the pure-ftpd configuration or logging options, for what that's worth.

I tried passing the sample log line and regex from the tutorial to fail2ban-regex, and a match is found, so I'm not sure why I'm never banned. I have made sure that my IP address is not white-listed in the fail2ban configuration.

With fail2ban's loglevel = 3, nothing is logged when I repeatedly fail authentication. The maxretry threshold is set to 3, and I've tried dozens of times -- still nothing.

If I set fail2ban's loglevel = 4, there is simply too much output for me to sort-out the log entries.

Is this a question for the fail2ban mailing list?

Unfortunately, I've introduced another issue while attempting to troubleshoot this one.

I forced a log rotation for all logs when I meant to force a rotation only for /var/log/auth.log. (I wanted to force a rotation because this file was some 400MB in size, and parsing it with fail2ban-regex was taking too long.) Now, nothing is being written to /var/log/auth.log. If I tail the file, and for example, log-in via SSH, nothing is written to the log. After a day or so, the log is still empty. Why might rotating the log cause this behavior?

The files look like this:

Code:
-rw-r-----  1 syslog   adm         0 Jan  4 09:49 auth.log
-rw-r-----  1 syslog   adm      376M Jan  5 08:32 auth.log.1
EDIT: Now that I look at these dates, I realize that the auth.log.1 file is the one being modified, not auth.log.

I should add that auth.log was never being rotated (which is why it was 376MB in size), so I created the file /etc/logrotate.d/auth and populated it with the following contents:

Code:
/var/log/auth.log {
	weekly
	rotate 12
}
I forced the log rotation after creating this file, if I recall correctly.

The relevant entry in /etc/syslog.conf looks correct:

Code:
auth,authpriv.*          -/var/log/auth.log
Any idea why this would cause the .1 log file to become the primary log? Is there a simple way to fix this?

Last edited by cbj4074; 5th January 2012 at 17:43. Reason: Added ls -lah output for affected log files.