View Single Post
Old 24th November 2011, 23:04
Super Moderator

Thanked 5,651 Times in 4,461 Posts

Quote:
So subversion (the one and only I was avoiding) seems to have the solution , but my question is how would that work if people have to push changes from a remote place (another pc) and I don't have a Fix/Stable/Own public IP but a dynamic one? I wouldn't like to make branches on a production server and work with them there, there should be only the Live/Production branch. I hope you understand my question.
You have one central svn server. This svn server can be any server that is reachable over the internet, it is normally not the productions system. All developers authenticate at this server with username and password of their svn account, svn has its own user and group management. So the IP addresses or connections of the developers dont matter.

If you want to get a version of the code live, then a script on the live server connects to the svn repository server and pulls a copy of the code to its local harddisk.

Quote:
I do have another idea but I will have to test it first and then I will let you know, it involves a Shorcut/Copy/Remote folder called Production (like a shared folder over the network) of the live website and that will be a masterbranch and when merged changes to that folder they auto update because it's a "shared" folder copy of the webXX/web/.
Thats not required. SVN can do this much better.