View Single Post
Old 21st November 2011, 17:40

Default Best way of version control of a live site

Sorry if I posted in the wrong place but where else?

Can any1 help me with this question I made some time ago:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7...of-a-live-site

Quote:
I want to test on one of my servers the version control of a live website and implement it the best way possible.

That one of the servers is running on Debian Lenny with Apache2 and wanting to use Mercurial (1.9.3 installed) as version software.

I have followed this tutorial (http://www.isnull.com.ar/2010/03/how...debian-or.html) till a certain point where these doubts showed up: How can I do version control of a live website, thinking of implementing multiple users support in the future. Explain:

I have my live website which I want to add the feature of the version control and it to be the master branch with it's user and password for commits (in the beginning).
From my local computer where I have the development area, I want to be able to commit to the master branch through whatever protocol (http, ssh, ...).
I also would like to know which method would be the most efficient to have the multiple user support and than each user to push to a stable repository and when the push is accepted the administrator will push to live site / master branch. Explication: I have the master branch, a stable clone of the master and each user will have his clone/s of the stable repository and finally each user will push to the stable repo where from there if accepted will go to the master branch.
It does occur to me another question, won't be there conflict problems when a user pushes a file/s different from what other user pushed 1 minute ago? Of course there can be the task separation and each to do certain things but what if not, what if X commits submit.php and Y also commits submit.php 1 minute before? I am asking this because I am sure that I will encounter this problem with the friend I work with, so what any ideas?

Or it's that I didn't fully experimented CVS and neither fully understood it? Even though I think other have encounter the same problems as I but I didn't find no where these questions asked.

Thank you, Alex

PS: Mercurial is not a must, It's just I used that one mostly but I am open to any other software that will help me

Quote:
I have the following structure: Production, Stable , Development and Testing (for testing purposes only) and of course Production is the master branch and each other is a copy of another (Production -> Stable -> Development -> Testing or Production <- Stable <- Development <- Testing) and all of them are workable inclusive the master branch
By that I mean that when everything is ok and goes great I push to Production (Development -> Stable (Stable copy of production) -> Production) and what mainly I am looking for is for a way that automatically when new changes are submitted to Production it updates the LIVE Site through ftp or whatever type of transfer protocol.

Thanks,
Alex
Sponsored Links