View Single Post
Old 26th November 2010, 20:44

Default Another idea

The one thing I am concerned about if I do a clone of the drive is the new system will not be using a kernel that can really use the dual processors. It will still be 32 bit.

Which leaves me with 2 options I guess, each with their own questions.

1. Create a new server (64 bit) and then copy over everything from the backups. If I do this, will I need to worry about old 32 bit binaries from the
backups overwriting the new 64bit binaries?

2. Create a new server and then make it a slave of old server, then promote it. I can see where this would work, but I think it would only be copying over all the standard ispconfig databases and configs but none of my modifications.

Method 1 would potentially be less complicated, and I wouldn't have to worry about missing anything if my backups have all that is needed. Method 2 would be more fun and good practice, but I may have to re-institute any modifications I have made from stock.

I think I will have to consider the pros an cons of each option some more before I commit to either. (And read up in the manual on Master & slave operations) Thanks for your help and ideas on this one.

I guess the main thing I wonder at this point is, am I making the 32 bit versus 64 bit thing a bigger issue than it should be?