The sites I have on this server are not mission critical. I have a Windows 2008 server that sits right next to this one. It has a number of websites on it that have been running for years and I've never had any problem with them. I wanted to see what the linux world had to offer, so I took an old server and loaded Ubuntu on it to play around with. After I got a little comfortable with it, I bought a new server and installed the lts that was available at the time using Falko's perfect server tutorial.
By the way, I can't say enough good things about Falko. I don't know where he finds the time and patience to do what he does (I guess he's a he) on these forums. The server was working fine, although I noticed that the drupal and joomla based sites get more than their share of probes from the internet. I just went back and saw that all of the site folders had been modified on October 29th at pretty much the same time. I would like to know how to look back at a system log to maybe figure out where the attack originated - maybe in one of the drupal or joomla applications. My system log only seems to go back a week.