View Single Post
Old 21st April 2006, 21:58

I am working with a Ubuntu server install
2.6.12-10-686
My goal is to get NIC failover such as we have on our AIX servers. If on path fails the other takes over instantly.
I follow the instructions here:
http://www.howtoforge.com/nic_bonding

And I have had some success.
bond0 comes up and it functional, but I think this is a trunk set up rather than failover. All three adapter have the same MAC and I don't think that is correct. In the AIX would the new sudo adapter like bond0 has the mac of the first nic, and when it fails over to the other NIC keeps the address of the first. However, the 2 physical NICs keep there real MACs when you look at the devices. Also neither of the physical nics are up or show up in ifconfig..

When we pull the cable hooked to eth0 the only way we can get the server to fail over, is to initiate a connection from the server to someting .. ie ping some other box. If we don't do this, we can not get to the box from the rest of the network. The other issue is that this config does not come back after a reboot. After rebooting there is no bond0 and no network connection.
Thanks in advance for any insite, I am new to Linux and am getting frustrated with not being able to find the answers I need.
Thanks,
Doug