View Single Post
Old 4th August 2010, 14:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
For the files in /var/www, use e.g. rsync. For the databases you can either use mysql replication, a mysql cluster setup or if the database content is not that time critical you can try to dump the mysql database automatically every few minutes and trsnafer this dump to the other server.
Till, thank you so much for your quick reply. I had seen Falko's response to what seems like a similar question in (this thread) and wondered a few things

1) Since I won't really have "load balancing", but will have "failover", I don't need syncing every few minutes. In fact, I am willing to absorb the "risk" of only "syncing" once per day ... assuming that my host will be decently reliable.
2) Why is mysql replication necessary? Is Backing up (i.e., tar or rsync) the mysql databases not a good idea or not technically sufficient? (Even if it requires stopping mysql for the few minutes it would take)
3) What about the IP address differences between the two ISPConfigs ... even if I sync them, do I still have to make some config change due to the IP difference before the "Secondary" server could go live? I notice you don't appear to suggest syncing the ispconfigs (/root/ispconfig ?) after the initial setup.

In other words, why not all the steps in this thread, but instead tar the mysql stuff too?

(Don't beat on me too hard, I just want to know why technically I have to use mysql replication even when I want to only do daily backups)

Thanks again for your any feedback.