I followed the above advice to correct the error. However, I still cannot get Thunderbird to connect to the incoming pop3 or imap courier server. I can send emails through that server using the wamtechnology.com account, but not retrieved them. The wamtechnology account is a non virtual that uses a system account. I can authenticate using authtest so that part is working. I made this change to the authdaemonrc file to get the authentication working for this account
Oh, and I just found out I can access this email account through Squirrelmail, so if I cannot get Thunderbird to connect, I may be able to live without it.