View Single Post
Old 5th April 2010, 01:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
This is no workaround, it is the intended way of doing it. If you want a website, create a website. It does not matter for a website if a domain is a.com a.a.com or a.a.a.com

The difference is very easy. An alias domain can be any domain while a subdomain can just be a subdomain. This is a often requested feature and separation from hosters as many of them allow free subdomains but not free alias domains.
To make it even more obvious:
With an alias you can do this:
main domain: example.com
alias: example.net (will point to example.com)
alias: example.org (will point to example.com)
alias: domain.com (will point to example.com)

To till:
What people are reacting to is how subdomains are created.
Example:
(probably a typical one): blog.domain.com
The way ISP Config 3 wants us to do this by using the sub-domain menu, it will actually be the same as: www.domain.com/blog
Which sometimes is OK, unless you would like to have a subdomain like test.domain.com where you want to test your application with a different setting.
In Plesk they do it like this:
directory-structure:
-domain.com
--web
--subdomain
----test
------web
And the information regarding the subdomain is found in the vhost-file for the domain.

You should probably ask users how they implement sub domains. if it is the www.domain.com/test eq test.domain.com then do no changes.
If it is that people go and create a new website as test.domain.com, then I would consider changing the way ISP Config handles sub domains.
I for one support the latter as I am often testing out client websites in a sub domain (client.domain.com) before putting them into production (www.client.com).