Further to this information, I'm not convinced there isn't a problem with the ISPConfig install. Bear in mind this is an installation transferred from a previous install as per this post:
When I make a change via the ISPConfig admin interface, it doesn't actually seem to be happening on the server. The apache config seems to be syntactically correct (apache2ctl configtest reports no problems) but Vhosts_ispconfig.conf is never changed no matter what I do.
I have found the latest config file here:
But that's not being updated at all, however it seems that /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/web/multidoc/edit/vhosts/Vhosts_ispconfig.conf is being updated
Finally, I tested an identical server config (but without ISPConfig) also running Ubuntu Karmic, to see if open_basedir was being forced, and it wasn't, so it's definately something with my setup.
A few issues here, I really really hope someone can help!
Thanks once again, Neil