View Single Post
Old 19th August 2009, 19:28

Question Is It Possible To Reinstall (Ub) Without Losing Files?

Hello All:

My question is:
Is there a way to reinstall Ubuntu without losing everything, or just do a repair on the OS somehow?
I used to choice off the Install CD but it did not work? (Did not even ask for the old password)? I must've done something wrong? or did I?

Thanks!

this is the details:

I almost blew it today: ("http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38335fsck saves" thread) but I got out of trouble safely but this has always been a question for me because:

I have had to reinstall Ubuntu 3 or 4 times already (this is why they tell you NOT to log in as ROOT and we dont listen) LOL

In every case when I reinstalled the fdisk portion of the Install CD gave NO choice as to reinstall over the same partitions in fact if I remember correctly it gave me no choice but to Format All Partitions as well.

So basically I Lost All My Files.
(I mean I knew I would, but I had no choice but to go on...so I am not complaining lol).

I have used the Advance Install (from CD root menu by F6), and used the other choice off the main menu to Save the Old System choices to no avail?!

I do not know why it (Install OS) does not ask you for the old root's password then let you just install the necessary files so you can boot decently??
I never saw such choice so I am asking you!

If you know how or know a link please post it for me (and other people).

Thank You!

Last edited by matey; 19th August 2009 at 19:31.
Sponsored Links