View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2009, 16:56

Red face

Thank you very much for staying with me on this. I really want to get this working so I truly appreciate your help.

I did exactly as you instructed and still couldn't get Poweradmin to open in a browser and the browser couldn't open to Poweradmin. I went as far as restarting Apache and clearing the server cache. Still won't load. The following error was returned:

ERROR

The requested URL could not be retrieved

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://127.0.0.1/poweradmin/install

The following error was encountered:

* Connection Failed

The system returned:

(110) Connection timed out

The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.

Your cache administrator is webmaster.

What I should say is that DirectAdmin, when they installed the control panel, insisted on installing bind. They may have configured it for use with DA. I have not changed the configuration in any way but will if necessary...and if I'm given good instructions. (However, I've read that Bind and PowerDNS shouldn't run on the same server. Perhaps I should install PowerDNS and Poweradmin on a virtual server on my dedi?

Also, while this probably isn't the best idea (since servers go down), can I point it to an IP on my dedi or create a hostname to point it to?

As for Bind, do you know of a way I can find out how it's configured now? Would error logs tell us why this install isn't working? I can't recall the command that will tell us what process is listening on what port. What command can I run for that? If I remember correctly, httpd was listening on a port other than 80 (as was DA).

And, now that I've stopped iptables, how do I restart it? I ran "/etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables -restart" and then "/etc/rc.d/init.d/iptables status" and it still wasn't running.

And, as an aside, what about a real firewall for my server? What's best for Linux CentOS 5.3?

Thanks for all of your help.

Sasha

Last edited by need_a_linux_brain; 3rd May 2009 at 16:59.