View Single Post
Old 8th March 2009, 05:50

Moving your answer here so we can possibly, slowly, turn this thread INTO documentation on how to set up multiple servers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by falko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by phorce1 View Post
Is there any documentation on setting up multiple servers?
Quote:
Not yet.
Quote:
Can multiple, redundant, DNS servers be set up? Can the ISPConfig DNS server act as a master with slave installations updating from it?
Quote:
Yes and yes. As ISPConfig is using MyDNS, you can simply set up MySQL replication on the slaves.
Quote:
Can web sites be set up on multiple boxes? Can email be set up on multiple boxes?
Quote:
Yes.
Quote:
How well does an ISPConfig setup handle REJECTing spam (not BOUNCEing it)?
Quote:
You can configure this in the amavisd settings.
Quote:
Can the end-user email users adjust their own spam settings
Quote:
Yes
OK, let's get started. (of course, no need for the HUGE quotes in followups).

Setting up multiple servers.

First, I don't want extra services running on machines that don't need them. If I set up a machine that is supposed to have web host and DNS services I only want an SMTP daemon for handling local system user mail for delivering notifications to the "real" mail server box(es).

I am currently more in need of a new email server than anything else. Can I set up JUST email services for 2 or 3 domains now and get the rest set up in a sane manner later?

Can the amavis part be set up to run on a machine separate from the actual mail server(s)? When previously running in house mail servers we had to set up a separate amavisd spam/virus scanning gateway to keep the actual user mail server from getting so bogged down that the users started having problems accessing it.

Right now I have ONE server free for install/testing. It's the old amavisd gateway. Our in-house mail server is still being used by a few customers who are having issues with outgoing mail on the service we chose for outsourcing.

Where do I start? Does ISPConfig have to be installed on each machine separately? If yes, then how does one handle putting different domains on different machines?

All installs here will be done using Debian Lenny.

Thanks,

Gerald