View Single Post
Old 27th February 2009, 21:14

Thanks again till,

I *believe* my server is configured properly. I followed the guide for schlund instead of godaddy, since I only have 1 public IP and 1 server. Right now I seem to be having an issue with my domain provider. I had to pay an extra $10/yr fee to get access to the advanced config for the domain, and I thought I has setup my dns to work properly (ns1.linuxottawa.ca), however it is not. I opened a help ticket with them, and got a reply, and now my head hurts again. I'd like your opinion on how to proceed.

My email to my domain provider:

Quote:
Hello,

I've set my DNS records for linuxottawa.ca and I believe they are set correctly. However it has been a few days now and 1: they are still not working. 2: They seem to be changing constantly.

There is no option to specify which nameserver should be the primary one, so I am counting on the fact that the one I added, ns1.linuxottawa.ca, will be seen as primary.

I have been checking on the status of the DNS change, and as I said, it seems to keep changing. From what it was until recently, with ns8.coolcom.com & ns88.coolcom.com with linuxottawa.ca pointing to my IP address:

(When the record reports this, www.linuxottawa.ca is working, and my website shows up in browser.)

With 'dig linuxottawa.ca' I can see that right now it is:

kristen@shodan:~> dig linuxottawa.ca

; <<>> DiG 9.4.2-P1 <<>> linuxottawa.ca
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 27016
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 3, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;linuxottawa.ca. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
linuxottawa.ca. 7200 IN A 0.0.0.0

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
linuxottawa.ca. 7200 IN NS ns7.coolcom.com.
linuxottawa.ca. 7200 IN NS ns77.coolcom.com.
linuxottawa.ca. 7200 IN NS ns1.linuxottawa.ca.

;; Query time: 55 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Feb 26 18:50:54 2009
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 114

This part does not take into account the IP of the nameservers, namely that ns1.linuxottawa.ca should point to 69.196.165.85 , and when the record reports this, www.linuxottawa.ca in my browser brings up nothing.

As I said, I have been checking the progress, and every few hours it seems to switch between one record and the other.

I'd just like to know if this is the normal process or if something is wrong here.

Thank you

~ Kristen
Their response:

Quote:
Tony Brandon:
Kristen,

The access you were provided with allows you to set the zone files for your domain within the ns7.coolcom.com and ns77.coolcom.com name servers (ours). You cannot add other namerservers... this is not where you edit the domain record.

If you want to use your own name servers, then you assign those to the domain record through the COOLCOM Client Centre under My Domains. Once you have done that, you then go to wherever that name server is administered and set the zone files there (A, C, MX records etc.)

If you plan to use "vanity" name servers (the same domain as the domain they are serving) then I will have to set that up for you manually... as CIRA will require IP addresses as well. You will also need two name servers. It's never a good idea to host a name server on the same IP address as the domain it is serving.

However if you are going to use our name servers (which are currently assigned to your domain record), then you set the IP addressing in the panel as I have done. I've also set your mail record.

I see that IP address 69.196.165.85 is a shared server, which means that the http.config file on that server will have to indicate the actual folder that your linuxottawa.ca website is hosted on within the shared space.
Advice, please?