View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2008, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by till View Post
I wont call it "non-standard", for germans this is the standard keyboard layout But of course for other countries, change the keyboard as described here:

http://www.howtoforge.com/changing-l...-distributions
Yup, but this is english speaking community, so the vmware image should be english by default too

Fortunately I figured out where the dash "-" sign is.

But I can't seem to be able to change the keyboard layout - when I try "dpkg-reconfigure console-data" get an error saying "console-data" is not installed.
I can't install console-data either, cause network isn't configured. And there is no nano or mcedit, and since I have no idea how the german layout looks I couldn't possibly use vi. So I'm stuck - with no internet access, not default keyboard layout that I can't change w/o internet and unable to edit /etc/network/interfaces...

EDIT:
I managed to get internet connectivity, by using the windows on-screen keyboard to type: cat > /etc/network/interfaces and change the default interface to DHCP.
So I installed console-data, configured it to qwerty/English. It didn't change a thing. I even added another user to see if the changes may reflect only new users. Nope. Both root and my user still use the German layout.

EDIT2:
dpkg-reconfigure console-setup (the step described for Ubuntu) worked. It actually had to recreate the initrd image. o_O

Last edited by NIXin; 22nd September 2008 at 14:06.