Thank you Falko and Ralic for your propmt replies.
I think I will take Ralic's advice and ignore it, now that I know what is going on, and since if I do it from the actual server terminal instead of ssh the error is not there.
just to be on the safe side, the contents of /etc/resolv.conf is one line
nameserver 10.1.1.1 (which is my DSL 504T adsl modem router).
I did do a search in this forum for 'getnameinfo failed' but there were no results.
again I thank you both for your help and I will continue on with the build. This is the 5th time I have started again from scratch but each time I get better results and each time I am learning more.
p.s. is there a way to mark posts as "resolved" in this forum.
Last edited by almeister9; 20th September 2008 at 04:22.