View Single Post
Old 11th June 2008, 01:12

Default MX and DNS records

My platform
OpenSuse 10.2
Postfix 2.3.2_28
ISPConfig 2.2.23

DNS configs
Using "example" in lieu of my domain name, and 11.111.11.111 in lieu of my IP)
* I run my own DNS server as primary, and use 1and1's as secondary
* In ISPConfig, under ISP Manager: Co-Domains set up for example.com and www.example.com, with DNS MX unchecked
* In ISPConfig, under DNS Manager:
- A Names set up for www.example.com, example.com, mail.example.com, ns1.example.com
- MX set up for for mail.example.com priority 10, example.com priority 20
- SPF set up for for example.com
* I also checked that the above records are in my /var/lib/named/pri.example.com file

mail MX 10 example.com
MX 20 example.com

example.com. A 11.111.11.111
www A 11.111.11.111
ns1 A 11.111.11.111
mail A 11.111.11.111
example.com. A 11.111.11.111 --- somehow I have two of these, do I need to delete the A Name from ISPConfig? Does the creation of a Co-Domain in ISPConfig automatically create an A Name? Does this extra line matter?

example.com. TXT "v=spf1 a mx ptr ~all"

What's working
* DNS is working, I'm able to browse (via browser) to the domain name and co-domains set up in ISPConfig. I'm also able to ping the domain and various sub-domains.
* I'm able to hook up Outlook client to my mail server, have successfully send and received emails to/from Gmail/Yahoo Mail.

What's not quite working
1) When testing my server on pingability.com and mxtoolbox.com, the tools reports back that "No MX records for 'example.com', using its A record(s)". I don't understand why this is since ISPConfig shows that I have MX records set up, and file pri.example.com displays the MX records. What am I missing?

2) Mail sent to Yahoo Mail goes straight to Spam Folder. I read that one common issue is if the mail server has open relay. I checked my server using the diagnostic tool on mxtoolbox, and it says that the server is not open relay so that's not it. Someone else suggested using a signature, I did, but there's no impact either. Mail still gets sent to the spam folder. (But this doesn't happen on Gmail, the mail goes to my Inbox on Gmail just fine.) I wonder if problem #1 causes the problem #2?

Last edited by xtine; 17th June 2008 at 04:49.
Sponsored Links