View Single Post
Old 2nd June 2008, 17:17

I did not say you should use no protection. I just said you are doing too many levels which are probably not helping with spam but causing me problems.

And remastersys TWICE caused major problems with my system (Ubuntu) because it changes BUT DOES NOT CORRECTLY RESTORE the uid. I still haven't fully recovered, and I think you should note this somewhere before other users ruin their systems with the program. I know how to recover.

All I wanted to do was warn other users they might totally trash their systems with this utility. It is going to take longer to write a "howto recover your system after remastersys changes all your uids" if you bother.

My complaint about the too many layers is on the main screen:

First I have to get that number graphic right.

If I happen to get something wrong on the initial form OTHER than the number graphic, I have to retype it and I GET A NEW GRAPHIC. If I get the graphic right, why do I have to do three times (oops, we don't like your name, oops, we erased your password, oops, something else was wrong, oops, I forgot you changed the image).

A spambot will get the image right the first time if it is using good software, and it will do so much faster than I can. Or it won't be able to at all. And it will fill in all fields right. I have to get the image right several times. Is that really necessary?

I don't have to decode a graphic when posting, Or when verifying the email address (you could move it there so I would have gotten the registration form right) so why should I have to do it multiple times when attempting to register?