View Single Post
Old 16th May 2008, 19:36

Hi again,

I have made it exactly the same as you suggested (I cut and pasted, and checked). I then restarted saslauthd and Postfix, but I have the same symptoms.

My Postfix log file gives:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
May 16 17:28:24 pooh postfix/smtpd[26512]: connect from unknown[xx.xx.xx.xx (hidden as this is my public ip address)]
May 16 17:28:25 pooh postfix/smtpd[26512]: warning: SASL authentication failure: cannot connect to saslauthd server: No such file or directory
May 16 17:28:25 pooh postfix/smtpd[26512]: warning: unknown[xx.xx.xx.xx]: SASL LOGIN authentication failed: generic failure
May 16 17:28:25 pooh postfix/smtpd[26512]: warning: SASL authentication failure: cannot connect to saslauthd server: No such file or directory
May 16 17:28:25 pooh postfix/smtpd[26512]: warning: unknown[xx.xx.xx.xx]: SASL LOGIN authentication failed: generic failure
May 16 17:28:25 pooh postfix/smtpd[26512]: disconnect from unknown[xx.xx.xx.xx]
----------------------------------------------------------------

Also, as I said before, checking running processes does not show that saslauthd is actually runnning anywhere (I checked all process owners, including root, myself, postfix and saslauthd).

And when I do a restart of saslauthd, using:

/etc/init.d/saslauthd restart

The command line returns:

* To enable saslauthd, edit /etc/default/saslauthd and set START=yes

(which of course I have done by making /etc/default/saslauthd exactly as you say)

I don't think the deamon is running at all, for some reason...?

Andy