View Single Post
Old 26th April 2008, 11:03
Super Moderator

Thanked 4,980 Times in 3,901 Posts

Quote:
Ok, I followed all the nice howto guides from this site in setting up my Ubuntu hardy server. After the usual "php" compile failure due to missing libraries (the howto should really tell us what else to install, instead of us searching G**gle), ISPConfig is running!!
The howto contains all libraries, I'am 100% sure. You must have missed something during setup.

Quote:
For example, lets say I have one site, www.abc.ca, with all the DNS,MX, reverse ARP, etc. all set up properly. (This site is running now on IIS, but no email.) I also have a DYNDNS site called def.homeip.net (for example) I can only point it's MX records to a FQDN name, like abc.ca (or similar) - no IP address. My port 25 is fully open to me (no ISP blocking)
Use e.g. def.homeip.net. But you should be aware that most large providers like hotmail will not accept emails which are send from a dynamic IP.

Quote:
So, to get to ISPConfig, I log in https://192.168.3.30, my internet LAN address. My global IP is 216.xxx.yyy.18, routed (NAT) eventually to my new Ubuntu server. What do I put in the "Managment", Server, Settings boxes? Do I put in one of my registered DNS names, of a fake name? I can see the "www" for hostname, then it wants something for "domain". What goes into "Server Name", can I put anything in there , like "mywebsite", or does this have to relate to something? I thought Postfix and such did not like the host and virtual names to be in different places, though this is supposed to be working through MySql...What IP address should I use for IP address, and what do I put in IP list then??? All my DNS names, fixed and DynDns point to the global 216.xxx.yyy.18 address
You can use any domain you like as long as the domain points to your server in dns. E.g. the def.homeip.net is fine. As IP address, you will have to use the internal IP in the server and website settings.