View Single Post
Old 25th April 2008, 18:38

Send a message via AIM to DantePasquale
Post /etc/passwd wiped out after updating user via CP

Hi Till,

Maybe we should start a new thread on this, but I'm having major issues with /etc/passwd getting wiped clean whenever I update a user in the ISPConfig control panel.

I had a user that was having problems logging into e-mail, so I reset her password and saved. Now, the only entries in /etc/passwd are for most of my ISPConfig users, no system users are the passwd file!

So, now I can't even become root to fix it - or restore from backup - or even shutdown the server!

What can I do to help debug this problem?

I'm running ISPConfig v 2.2.22 on Ubuntu 7.10 - 64-bit, kernel Linux inferno.cocoanet.us 2.6.22-14-generic #1 SMP Tue Feb 12 02:46:46 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux.

I realize that with root gone I'm going to have to boot off of my rescue CD/USB drive and fix things and I can't get back to the server location for a few hours, but what should I do about this problem?

I see that you have v 2.2.23 out, but I understand that's just an update of ClamAV, or should I upgrade anyway?

Oh, I did an upgrade from 2.2.21 to 2.2.22 with no errors indicated and I didn't have this problem prior to upgrade.
Sponsored Links