View Single Post
Old 17th January 2006, 20:51
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kankles
my prob is DNS. its the one area i'm really sketchy on. i registerd myself a domain and now i have control over that apparently. at least i can tell it which name servers i want it to use anyway.

so i presume if i want my domain to point to my fed 4 server which is behind a router then i need to set the name server on my registerd domain to my ip address and open my router to allow passage through to my server at 192.168.1.5?
Yes.

Quote:
my router includes a dns server apparently.. perhaps i need that to deal with dns requests?
It's not a DNS server, it's a DNS resolver, i.e., it asks other name servers.

Quote:
my other query is this; during setup, you can choose dhcp or set dns custom.
my router has a dhcp server but i have set to perminantly lease the ip 192.168.1.5 to the mac address of my servers ethernet.
so i continue as custom and set my static ip for this server to 192.168.1.5?
You should always use a static IP address for a server.

Quote:
then it asks me to enter my gateway and dns servers so i figure my router is my gateway, right? 192.168.1.1 i presume as non of my other p.c.s can lease that from it.
That's right.

Quote:
so what are my dns servers? is it asking me for the ip of a root dns server i.e. a.root-servers.net or something else?
You can use any resolving name server that you know, e.g. the ones mentioned in the tutorial or the ones your ISP has given you. If your router rellay has a resolving name server, you can even use your router's IP address as name server.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: