View Single Post
Old 1st January 2006, 19:12
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,579 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bLuTm8
1) Install/Compile Packets:
some packets ispconfig will compile and install without checking running system for always being there.
here we should implement some checkboxes using installed php5, openssl-0.98, clamav, spamassassin ... and configuring ispconfig using this packages.
(rpm or apt database queries give ispconfig all informations about)
most systems works with presence of more than one of the same bins and libs but this is no solution for transparent work. beginners in administration of unix servers couldnt find such errors in there main server configuration.
These packages are used by ISPConfig only and are totally independent from the rest of the system, i.e., ISPConfig uses its own Apache (on port 81) and PHP which are used only by ISPConfig to serve the ISPConfig web interface and write configuration files in the background. So no matter if you already have Apache and PHP installed, ISPConfig must compile these packages again solely for its own use. Your already installed Apache and PHP aren't affected by the new compilation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bLuTm8
2) I had postfix:
ispconfig use courier-imap: fine.
but courier is not only a "tool", it is a complete mail server solution without needs for postfix/sendmail, procmail.
for linux-standard (postfix,procmail,courier-imap) there are hundret howtos and books around the world, but i disagree this als the only one. it is tricky and error intensive.
qmail is another allinone solution, but his "patchwork" (qmail kernel is not opensource) is for experts only
--
disadvantageously, most distributions only offering courier-imap (very old) and courier-authlib (without authlib-mysql) so we must compile this big package.
hard work, then there are lots of depencies
(debian, fedora2, pld-linux have all modules)
Not quite sure what you mean with that. ISPConfig supports Postfix and Sendmail, and it's up to you which POP3/IMAP daemon you use. The installation and configuration of Postfix is covered in the tutorials mentioned at the bottom of http://www.ispconfig.org/documentation.htm.

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: