Thread: Backup?
View Single Post
Old 27th December 2005, 22:59
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,752 Times in 2,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctroyp
I want to mention that I have already copied all of my directories from my hd to a remote (Windows) computer via WinSCP. I couldn't copy all of the files, but I got 99% and certainly the ISPConfig stuff and mysql backup scripts.
But on Windows you lose all the information about the files' permissions and ownerships... On your new Linux system you'd have to restore these manually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctroyp
Since I have done this already, is it necessary to follow your procedure or could I simply copy the files back to the new (Mandriva) server in the appropriate locations once I have it setup? I know that I wouldn't want to replace all of the files and directories, but which ones are absolutely necessary for ISPConfig, the websites, data, etc? Just the ones you mentioned in your instructions?
You should follow one of the Mandriva tutorials on HowtoForge and then install ISPConfig on the system. Afterwards, you can restore all necessary files/databases, etc. Because the source and the destination system are using different distributions (Debian <-> Mandriva), you might have to experiment a bit...

FB: http://www.facebook.com/howtoforge

nginx-Webhosting: Timme Hosting | Follow me on: