HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   Installation/Configuration (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   shared IP | ISPConfig creates wrong vhost configs (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9302)

phor 23rd December 2006 15:33

shared IP | ISPConfig creates wrong vhost configs

Hello there,

I managed to install ISPConfig and am quite impressed by its features. A single problem keeps me away now from chilling down with my ISPConfig installation:

Every new Site creation in ISPConfig ends up with the problem, that all sites opened in a browser are forwarded to the "sharedip" Directory, because of the following entry in /etc/apache2/Vhosts_ispconfig.conf

Code:

NameVirtualHost 123.123.123.123:80
<VirtualHost 123.123.123.123:80>
  ServerName localhost
  ServerAdmin root@localhost
  DocumentRoot /var/www/sharedip
</VirtualHost>

If I comment these lines out, all Sites work properly. But with every new creation ISPConfig adds these lines again and I have to remove them manually to keep my sites working.

Now, how can I prevent ISPConfig from creating these lines? I would also be thankful for some workaround...

till 23rd December 2006 16:31

This enrtry is correct and required. So the question is what you configured wrong in the vhosts, you must connect to the websites with the domain and not with a IP, when your server is behind a router, you must select your internal IP, not the external.

phor 23rd December 2006 16:52

It's a dedicated Server (not behind a router or anything like that)...

I didn't change anything within the "/etc/apache2/Vhosts_ispconfig.conf" (just uncommented some lines out as reported in the mainthread for testing). The original config-file doesn't work!

When I open a Domain, which points on my serverip, like www.example.com in my Browser, I am being referred to the "/var/www/sharedip" folder. (Placed a special index.html within sharedip to ensure that.)

till 24th December 2006 11:39

The config file is correct without commenting anything out, it works on thousands of dedicated servers, so its a configuration issue of your domain.

Does the domain www.example.com points with a DNS A-Recoird to your server IP address, the same IP address that you selected in the ISPConfig interface for the domain?

phor 24th December 2006 14:19

I think it's because ISPConfig forces to use a "Hostname" (e.g. www) which I didn't want to but ISPConfig did automatically.

But I'm now used to it. Additionally I forgot to activate "Administrator" mode in my user configuration, so that my uploaded data was stored in /home/www/webX/user/webX_user/web/ instead of /home/www/webX/web/ ...

Thanks for your help. ISPConfig is nice but has some peculiarities you need to know...