HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   Installation/Configuration (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New to linux quick question.... (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=827)

Tbagz 12th October 2005 11:41

New to linux quick question....
 
I am thinking of setting up a dual boot sysytem with xp and red hat 7.3. Can I do this with NTFS? thanks for any help.

falko 12th October 2005 12:26

You can't use NTFS for Linux. Linux is capable of reading NTFS partitions, but it cannot write to them yet. So you need to re-partition your hard disk (I assume you already have Windows installed using all the space on your hard disk) to create enough space for Linux. You can use tools like Partition Magic for that.

Why do you want to use RedHat 7.3? :confused: It's very old. Why don't you use Fedora Core 4 if you want to stick to a RedHat based distribution?

Tbagz 13th October 2005 09:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by falko
You can't use NTFS for Linux. Linux is capable of reading NTFS partitions, but it cannot write to them yet. So you need to re-partition your hard disk (I assume you already have Windows installed using all the space on your hard disk) to create enough space for Linux. You can use tools like Partition Magic for that.

Why do you want to use RedHat 7.3? :confused: It's very old. Why don't you use Fedora Core 4 if you want to stick to a RedHat based distribution?

Thanks for your quick reply. Can I just partition it through dos/command line? Or do I have to buy ths $60.00 partition magic to start using linux?

And about the version, I dont know. A friend gave me a text book intro to unix and linux with that version in the back. I am open to whatever though. I mean I have no Idea about this linux stuff hence me being here. I am willing to try whatever is good. I am by no means a computer expert. I know enough to get in and do somethings that impress my friends and family, basically enought to mess stuff up.

But I would want the version that gave me the most options to do things and programs. I have just had the interest to try out linux and never really got started in it till my bud gave me the book with the disk. Everytime I went to sites I was always set back by all the versions. You know just was not sure what to get and where to start. So here I am, I'm ready to give it a try and see what all the fuss is about. So what do you advise? Im open to anything.

falko 13th October 2005 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbagz
Thanks for your quick reply. Can I just partition it through dos/command line? Or do I have to buy ths $60.00 partition magic to start using linux?

The best would be to install Linux on a second system so that you don't have to change the partitions on your Windows box.
If you don't have a second computer available for testing, then you must re-partition your hard disk on your Windows system. I don't know if you can do this with DOS commands; you can do it with Partition Magic for sure. There's a free alternative: http://visopsys.org/partlogic/index.html but I haven't tested that and don't know if it can do what you need.
Maybe also some Linux installers have the ability to re-partition your hard disk, but I don't know for sure because I have enough test computers available... :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tbagz
But I would want the version that gave me the most options to do things and programs. I have just had the interest to try out linux and never really got started in it till my bud gave me the book with the disk. Everytime I went to sites I was always set back by all the versions. You know just was not sure what to get and where to start. So here I am, I'm ready to give it a try and see what all the fuss is about. So what do you advise? Im open to anything.

If you want a desktop system, I'd recommend Fedora Core 4, SuSE 10.0, Mandriva 2006 or Ubuntu 5.10. You have to see yourself which one you like most (btw, we have a new screenshot section on HowtoForge: http://www.howtoforge.com/screenshots ).
If you want a server, then I recommend Debian. Then you should have a look at http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_debian_sarge to get you started.

Tbagz 14th October 2005 08:03

Well, Thanks again for your help. and just because I am curious....What do you think of this Fluxbox and those type of deals? They look really good. but Im sure I am months away from eing able to do stuff with those sice I have yet to install linux, much less a window manager.

falko 14th October 2005 09:30

I've never worked with Fluxbox. I only know KDE, Gnome, XFCE and Enlightenment. For a newbie I'd recommend KDE or Gnome.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:55.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.