HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   HOWTO-Related Questions (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   VMWare Server Free License - Invalid (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8243)

bardgd 16th November 2006 03:23

VMWare Server Free License - Invalid

Installed VMWare Server on Ubuntu 6.10 Server.

Get to the point were the license is to be entered and I keep getting an invalid license. I downloaded 20 license, 4 at a time with the same results. I made sure it was the linux license.

Have manually entered the license and pasted the license with the same result.

I am running Ubuntu 6.10 on a AMD X2 64 with 2 Gigs of ram.

Anyone have a problem with the license and how did you get them to work. Submitted a request to VMWare but there is limited support for VMware Server.

Appreciate any insight.

John

falko 17th November 2006 14:06

I've never had such a problem. Maybe you must get new license number from VMware? Did you try that?
It's possible that the license is case sensitive so keep this in mind when entering a license code.

bardgd 17th November 2006 19:54

You are right in that the license is case sensitive. I have typed in manually, passed it, entered it in through ssh. Also have downloaded four different sets of license, using different web browsers. I wiped the hard drive installation out and did a clean install. So the same result. What I am going to do now is convert the rpm package to debian and try that. And if that does not work, I will go back to Ubunto 606 version and try that. And then if that works I will upgrade to 6.10 and see what happens. Nothing like fun and games.

sjau 18th November 2006 10:53

And you can't use the windows licences for the linux version of vmware (just a small add-on)

bardgd 18th November 2006 16:34

Know that

Yup, know that, been downloading Linux licenses. It is possible that VMWare is messing up. But I used Firefox for one group and IE for another group. Both groups with the same results.

falko 19th November 2006 17:31

I think your VMware installation must be pretty messed up because normally you don't have problems with VMware at all... :confused:

bardgd 19th November 2006 17:50

Missing Libarary

I figured out the problem. the ia32-lib was missing. Installed it and now everything works on the Ubuntu 6.10 server.

This is what I did to get VMWare to install properly

I installed ssh and ftp this so I can sit on the couch with my laptop and do what I need to do.

apt-get install ssh openssh-server
apt-get install vsftpd

This is needed by VMWare
apt-get install libx11-6
apt-get install libx11-dev
apt-get install libxtst6
apt-get install xlibs-dev
apt-get install xinetd
apt-get install wget
apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`
apt-get install build-essential
apt-get install gcc