HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   HOWTO-Related Questions (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   ISP Server Setup - OpenSUSE 10 RC 1 (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816)

Emarzee 11th October 2005 16:44

ISP Server Setup - OpenSUSE 10 RC 1

hi im doing ISP Server Setup - OpenSUSE 10 RC 1
behind a router and im receiving a static ip from my company.

followed the tutorial verbatimbut for one part where i assigned my linux box a static ip in my router so the number is different. but it cant connect to the internet.

i used my internet assigned gateway subnetmask and DNS numbers

till 11th October 2005 17:04

Try to set the IP address of your router as gateway IP in your SuSe server.

Emarzee 11th October 2005 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by till
Try to set the IP address of your router as gateway IP in your SuSe server.

thats what i did the first time but it didnt work. will try again for the heck of it. one sec...

wheeeeee it worked!!
thanks alot!
stay tuned for part 2 :P

-edit-
i think it didnt work the first time because the first time i just made my dns numbers up :)

Emarzee 11th October 2005 17:30

ok new problem

i logged into the server successfully and im trying to do the first step on page 4
but chkconfig is a bad command according to the console.
i'm a linux newb sorry. what do i do?

till 11th October 2005 17:36

Are you sure yu are logged in as root user? Run the command "su" command to switch to root.

Emarzee 11th October 2005 17:42

oh ok thanks alot buddy :)

Emarzee 12th October 2005 04:23

OK back again.. having an issue with quota managed to get it installed but when i type /etc/fstab
i get a message saying not permitted to do that. i am logged in as root as well using the su command you told me to use earlier.
here is a snippet of the peice im following. im guessing that i just need to learn how to edit
Quota

yast -i quota

Edit /etc/fstab to look like....

-edit-
is that something i have to edit in yast?

falko 12th October 2005 09:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emarzee
OK back again.. having an issue with quota managed to get it installed but when i type /etc/fstab
i get a message saying not permitted to do that. i am logged in as root as well using the su command you told me to use earlier.
here is a snippet of the peice im following. im guessing that i just need to learn how to edit
Quota

yast -i quota

Edit /etc/fstab to look like....

-edit-
is that something i have to edit in yast?

You should be logged in as root on the shell, and you should use an editor like vi, pico or nano to edit /etc/fstab. Don't use one of those desktop text editors.

Emarzee 12th October 2005 10:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by falko
You should be logged in as root on the shell, and you should use an editor like vi, pico or nano to edit /etc/fstab. Don't use one of those desktop text editors.

hi
i'm in the console with no gui installed as suggested in the tutorial.

falko 12th October 2005 10:12

Can you run the command
Code:

whoami
to see as which user you're logged in?
Also, can you post the output of
Code:

ls -l /etc/fstab
?