HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   Installation/Configuration (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Relay access denied when using SMTP to external recipients (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=806)

Kamran Shah 10th October 2005 13:59

Relay access denied when using SMTP to external recipients

Unable to send emails to any domains not hosted locally on this server via SMTP client. If I do the same using SMTP client I receive NDR and below message in my /var/log/maillog.

Oct 10 12:12:12 portal postfix/smtpd[9641]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from gateway[195.xx.xx.xxx]: 554 <me@yahoo.com>: Relay access denied; from=<me@mydomain.com> to=<me@yahoo.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<Inbox>

Everything works fine if I use web mail client UebiMiau except UebiMiau translates internal emails to me@mydomain.com@myserverhostname.com. But at it lets me send emails to me@yahoo.com without any problem, see the log message below which works perfectly.

Oct 10 12:25:32 portal postfix/smtp[9943]: 78FFA485C8E: to=<me@yahoo.com>, relay=mx2.mail.yahoo.com[4.79.181.13], delay=23, status=sent (250 ok dirdel)

I have read few threads where people are facing this error "Relay access denied" but couldn't really find the resolution for my problem.

I have perfectly installed ISPConfig on FC4 without any problems. /etc/postfix/main.cf has following entry as per installation instruction. I have tried check_relay_domains appears same after restarting postfix.

smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject _unauth_destination

falko 10th October 2005 14:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kamran Shah
Everything works fine if I use web mail client UebiMiau except UebiMiau translates internal emails to me@mydomain.com@myserverhostname.com. But at it lets me send emails to me@yahoo.com without any problem, see the log message below which works perfectly.

That's because you're on the system itself when you use webmail (the webmail program is running on the server).

In your email client you have to activate something like "Server needs authentication." for that mailbox.

Kamran Shah 10th October 2005 16:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by falko
That's because you're on the system itself when you use webmail (the webmail program is running on the server).

In your email client you have to activate something like "Server needs authentication." for that mailbox.

Any ideas what would be the fix, I have opened a separate thread for this issue as it doesn't relate to relaying http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/sho...=3952#post3952

falko 10th October 2005 17:39

Did you enable "Server needs authentication" in your email client?

Kamran Shah 11th October 2005 13:07

Server Authentication resolved my issue - hurray

I was using my Pocket PC (Orange M2000 with WM2003SE) Email client and configuration worked for another free pop3/smtp server but not for this one I installed with ISPConfig.

After Falko's reply I realised it could be this client so tried on Outlook Express on my PC which worked perfectly so it is down to the client I have on my PPC.

If I enable Server Authentication on my PPC it would come up with connectivity error while without server authentication it worked for internal mail destinations.

I finally tweaked with my PPC client and found that Server information contains Incoming mail, Outgoing mail and Domain where I was adding the same domain name I wanted to get email working. After deleting domain from these tried again and it worked, not sure what this domain means and why is it here, can't see such thing in Outlook Express.

I was already impressed with Falko's knowledge from previous posts and knew he will fix it.

Although my webmail issue is still there, which is probably down to the UebiMiau settings which I can't find how to fix. I used the package to install from ispconfig.com but might try squirrilmail or any other client some other time.

caMi 10th September 2006 16:09

I have had the same problems (Debian, also Web-FTP-Tool), here is "my" solution:

remove "localhost" in hosts-File

Greetings
caMi

tonsai 27th November 2006 18:10

Relay Access Denied

Make sure you are authenticating to your 'outgoing' mail server and not the incoming.

torgnyw 21st December 2006 23:26

You need to add your local network to mynetwork

Set mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8, 192.168.1.0/24

My home network is 192.168.1.0 with netmask 255.255.255.0 (24 bit mask)
This worked fine for me. This setting sets what networks you allow to send mail trough your smtp server.

-Torgny

massimopasquali 10th January 2007 14:01

relay access denied width sasl authenticated

hello

i have the same problem, but i have configurated postfix to authenticate the sender. So postfix to work fine fonaly i use this into my lan, but when i go out of my office and i to connect width my notebook by dialup internt connection i can't to send email to external at my domain, becouse i recived the error 554 relay access denied

what you think about my problem?

Bye!

falko 11th January 2007 19:17

Did you enable "Server requires aurthentication" in your email client?
What's in /etc/postfix/main.cf (please strip out the comments)?