HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   Installation/Configuration (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   HowTo configure Outlook (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5912)

schmidtedv 31st July 2006 14:55

HowTo configure Outlook (FIXED)

Well,
I'm having difficulties sending Mails, so I guess there must be something wrong...

lets say server is www.xyz.de...

Username as in ISPConfig would be web2_002
Password lets say is Dingdong

SMTP and POP3 would be mail.xyz.de ?

This config brings me the wrong username or password window for smtp in Outlook....same for normal pop3-account and if I would try to use it as Imap-account.

Before I would think of an configuration-error or missbehavior in ISPConfig, I thought, I did something wrong, so, is there a manual, what I would have to enter for username, password, smtp, pop3, authentification or even SSL to get/send my mails?

Ben 31st July 2006 15:20

I would do the following options in case of POP3:

Username: web2_002
Password: Dingdong
SMTP AND POP3: Any DNS-Name pointing to your servers IP (or the IP directly)

Then you should go to "advanced options" or sth. like that, where you have to define authentication for smpt-Server and check the radio "same as for POP3" or anything like that.

That should work fine, I had no problems with that.

schmidtedv 31st July 2006 18:09

...that might work...but I shouldn't give customers the IP in normal case, there should be their domain in smtp and pop...shouldn't it?

till 1st August 2006 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by schmidtedv
...that might work...but I shouldn't give customers the IP in normal case, there should be their domain in smtp and pop...shouldn't it?

That's up to you. Either any domain that points to your server or the IP.

schmidtedv 1st August 2006 09:01

okok, but then, would it have to be in format mail.xyz.de with debian 3.1 howto for smtp and pop3? I did this and authorisation didn't work for smtp...

till 1st August 2006 09:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by schmidtedv
okok, but then, would it have to be in format mail.xyz.de with debian 3.1 howto for smtp and pop3?

No. You can use ANY domain that points to your server.

schmidtedv 4th August 2006 08:39

ok, well, then there seems to be something wrong...I put the FQDN as smtp and IMAP, both tried with and without SSL, but it doesn't work.

The Domain has it's own IP (from 3) and in DNS-Manager the Nameservers are (is that correct?) both the same (FQDN from first IP I used and installed ISPConfig on). In the Records the IP for the Domain, I'm testing, is the one I wanted this Domain to be onand the only other entrance here is the Mailserver which again points with it's FQDN to the main ISPConfig-IP/Domain.

I can use RoundCube without errors, but to get in from the outside, there seems something misconfigured by me?

The provider gave me for the 3 IP's 3 own Reserve-DNS entrances....maybe I would have to use the one for the particular Domain/IP in the Records?

falko 5th August 2006 16:29

Can you post your public IP addresses here? Did you try the IP addresses in your email client (to see if it works)?
What's the domain name you're trying to set this up for?

schmidtedv 5th August 2006 18:27

I didn't tried the IP's, only the FQDN for the Main-IP...should I? Well, IP is 84.16.xxx (but I will take that out again, becaouse I get many hackers-login-tries allready...)

falko 6th August 2006 18:47

Yes, try your IP address. IF this doesn't work, then it's not a problem with DNS, otherwise it most probably is.