HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   Installation/Configuration (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Default Paths (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58885)

abdi 27th September 2012 12:05

Default Paths

Hello Forgers,

Welcome me to ISPConfig3 :)

We would like to use ISPConfig3 as a replacement to Plesk (a CP we've been using for the last 10 years)

Now, just a quick question though:

I would like to change almost ALL the default paths to custom ones, eg
Website path from: /var/www/clients/client[client_id]/web[website_id] to /home/client[client_id]/web[website_id]

Just wondering if I do this, and there's an upgrade of ISPConfig3, won't the upgrade break the paths? As in, will the upgrade honor ALL my custom settings I would have set especially with default paths and etc?

Thanks alot and this is my first of 10K posts :) before end of 2013!

Joseph

till 27th September 2012 12:24

Quote:

I would like to change almost ALL the default paths to custom ones, eg
Website path from: /var/www/clients/client[client_id]/web[website_id] to /home/client[client_id]/web[website_id]
If you do this, suexec will stop working so none of the cms systems installed in your sites will be able to write data or images to disk. The suexec path is compiled into apache, so if you would like to chnage the path in that way, you would have to compile your own apache server instead of using the one provided by the Linux distribution. Customs ettings that you do in ispconfig under system > server config will not be overwitten on updates, but you should really consider to not change the path in the way you described above as you will have many drawbacks then.

abdi 27th September 2012 12:43

Thanks alot Till for the quick and detailed response. I will take your advice and work / improve with what we already have in place.

abdi 27th September 2012 13:22

Till, one more question please:

I already have 2 DNS servers all running on MyDNS (ns1&ns2).
I could move ns1 on my master ISPConfig server easily ..

Qn #1:

Is it possible to use my current MyDNS with ISPConfig3? ie you access all zone files through the control panel and manage them in the same place?

Qn #2:
If a domain name / website is created in ISPConfig3, is it possible to automatically generate / create ALL DNS records for that domain name (could be based on DNS template already in the system) to myDNS?

Thanks once again for your quick response.

Joseph

till 27th September 2012 13:49

1) Your current mydns database has not the permission columns required by ispconfig to anage the records, so you wont be able to edit them in ispconfig or assign them to a client. But you might be able to import them with a script into the ispconfig mysql database.
2) No. But there will be a wizard to create website and domain in one step in 3.0.6

abdi 27th September 2012 14:20

Quote:

But you might be able to import them with a script into the ispconfig mysql database.
Do you mind pointing me to details of this script please...thanks

till 27th September 2012 14:32

I meant that you can write a script to import your data.