HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials

HowtoForge Forums | HowtoForge - Linux Howtos and Tutorials (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/index.php)
-   Installation/Configuration (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Disk Usage Help? (http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58160)

Unfaiir 2nd August 2012 18:28

Disk Usage Help?

I followed the guide on installing ISPConfig 3 on a fresh CentOS 6 and its all up and running well now. When I goto "Monitor" => "Disk Usage" within ISPConfig I see this:

Code:

Filesystem        Type        Size        Used        Available        Use%        Mounted on
/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root                                               
        ext4        50G        3.3G        44G        7%        /
tmpfs        tmpfs        1.8G        0        1.8G        0%        /dev/shm
/dev/sda1        ext4        485M        98M        362M        22%        /boot
/dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_home                                               
        ext4        864G        269M        820G        1%        /home

Whenever I add a new site and all the files, it is going onto the / partition and not the /home partition. My /home partition has 820G and the / partition only has 44G. I'm not really sure what to do, apart from the guide I've never had to deal with mounting or partitioning myself, as I'm new at this.

Can someone please let me know what the optimal solution here is to either swap the capacities of the partitions or to change which partition the website files are stored on and how to do it?

Thank you.

Athar 2nd August 2012 18:45

In theory, website files are stored in /var/www
So, it's normal that the file system in use here is / and not /home

I will install a multi server environment soon, so I will verify that.

till 2nd August 2012 18:51

Website files are stored in /var/www and email files in /var/vmail, so a large /var partition is recommended.

Unfaiir 2nd August 2012 19:17

/var partition

I'm not sure how these partitions were setup in the first place, I just followed the guide. How do I setup a /var partition and reallocate all those gigabytes to the new /var partition from /home partition? Additionally, should I even create a /var partition or just increase the limit of the / partition?

cfoe 3rd August 2012 15:18

what kind of server are you using?
a machine at home/office? a dedicated/virtual server from a hosting company?

I also use CentOS 5 and 6 and with the standard partitioning selected on setup such a configuration should not occur.

Unfaiir 4th August 2012 19:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfoe (Post 283203)
what kind of server are you using?
a machine at home/office? a dedicated/virtual server from a hosting company?

I also use CentOS 5 and 6 and with the standard partitioning selected on setup such a configuration should not occur.

Its a home server. I used the standard partitioning as well on setup, CentOS 6.3. Is there a way to fix this or do I need to wipe and re-install everything?

cfoe 7th August 2012 13:07

Windows is my domain although I love Linux/CentOS. In Windows I would know what to do.
Sorry.

falko 8th August 2012 15:00

You could move the /home stuff to another directory (on the / partition, e.g. /home_tmp), delete the /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_home logical volume, extend the /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root logical volume (make sure you extend the file system as well) and then rename /home/tmp to /home.

You can find instructions here: http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_lvm

Unfaiir 19th September 2012 18:09

extend file system as well?

Quote:

Originally Posted by falko (Post 283423)
You could move the /home stuff to another directory (on the / partition, e.g. /home_tmp), delete the /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_home logical volume, extend the /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root logical volume (make sure you extend the file system as well) and then rename /home/tmp to /home.

You can find instructions here: http://www.howtoforge.com/linux_lvm

Thank you for the great tutorial on LVM and the solution to fix the volume groups!

When trying to remove the /home entry from /etc/fstab I get this:

Code:

E325: ATTENTION
Found a swap file by the name "/etc/.fstab.swp"
          owned by: root  dated: Wed Sep 19 08:39:26 2012
        file name: /etc/fstab
          modified: YES
        user name: root  host name: myserver.com
        process ID: 20493
While opening file "/etc/fstab"
            dated: Sat Jul 21 11:53:34 2012

(1) Another program may be editing the same file.
    If this is the case, be careful not to end up with two
    different instances of the same file when making changes.
    Quit, or continue with caution.

(2) An edit session for this file crashed.
    If this is the case, use ":recover" or "vim -r /etc/fstab"
    to recover the changes (see ":help recovery").
    If you did this already, delete the swap file "/etc/.fstab.swp"
    to avoid this message.
"/etc/fstab" 16L, 917C
Press ENTER or type command to continue

What should I do? Is ISP Config 3 or related app keeping this open?

Unfaiir 19th September 2012 20:09

How to Unmount /dev/mapper/VolGroup-lv_root?

Hey Falko,

Following your suggestion I've successfully removed the /home LV and also removed it from /etc/fstab.

I'm now trying to increase the size of the / LV but it won't let me unmount it because it says:

"device is busy."

What can I do to the / LV?